Sunday, December 7, 2008

Why do I homeschool?

I get asked this question a lot. And then it's usually followed by an emphatic, "I could never do that." If you would've talked to me about homeschooling 3 years ago, that would've been my response too.

But then Heavenly Father changed my mind. And I'll forever be grateful that He did.

What I LOVE about homeschooling:

1. *I* get to be the one to witness the "A-ha!" moments as my children learn.

2. *I* get to enjoy their excitement and enthusiasm when they're being exposed to something new for the first time.

3. *I* get to help them through the areas that they struggle in without any outside pressure of other people moving ahead.

(Can you tell I was jealous of AJ's teacher for the short time I had her in school?)

4. My children get to go at THEIR pace, not the "average" pace. In some things they excel, and some things take a little longer to grasp, but they don't get bored by being "ahead" and they don't feel extra frustration by being "behind."

5. I get to spend A LOT of time with my children.

6. My children get to have a lot of "life" experience that they might not otherwise get.

7. I get to continue learning as I learn how to best teach them.

8. My kids get to hold onto their innocence a bit longer than their "mainstream" friends.

9. They learn to become each others' best friends.

10. That they get to be taught with the learning style that fits them (and doesn't make them feel stupid because they aren't "getting" it with the way the teacher is teaching it).

No comments: