Monday, December 8, 2008

Out of the Mouth of a Vegetarian Kid

Conversation between me, my sister (Aunt E) and Roo:

Roo: "What are you doing here, E? Did you come for a visit?"

Aunt E: "Actually, Roo, I'm going to be your mother now."

Me: "Yeah, Roo, I'm going to take cousin O back to his house and be his mommy now. Aunt E and I are trading places. What do you think?"

Roo: (laughing because he can tell we're joking)

Aunt E: "And guess what we're having for dinner tonight?"

Roo: "What?"

Aunt E: "Steak!"

Me: (laughing) "I don't think he even knows what that is."

Roo: (defensively) "Yes I do!"

Me: "What is it, Roo?"

Roo: (proudly) "Zebra!!!"


Some of you might get the context of Roo's answer right away (that is if you or your children have watched "Madagascar" more than 10 million times). For those of you unfamiliar, I'll let you in on the funny. In the movie, Alex the lion is becoming wild and is hungry for steak. So he envisions his best friend, Marty (the zebra), as steak and tries to take a bite of him. So in Roo's mind, steak = zebra.

I was laughing SOOOO hard after Roo's comment. But I had to let Aunt E in on the funniness since she was incredulous as to how my son could think that steak comes from zebras. (Aunt E's son isn't quite old enough yet to enjoy the hilarity of Alex and Marty (or any other movie, for that matter), and so she hasn't yet experienced the joy of having a movie repeated back to her word-for-word.......oh, the joy that awaits her.)

No comments: