Monday, December 22, 2008

Home From Our Trip.....and a bad phone call

We got home last night from our big CA trip. It was SOOOOO much fun! We got soaked the first day in Disneyland, but still had a blast. The next day was all sunshine....beautiful! And the third day (the day we went to CA Adventure) was yucky. :( It was raining, so we thought we could brave it like we did the first day. What we didn't count on was the temperature dropping dramatically and a LOT of wind that made the rain not only soaking, but stinging as well. And the poncho that we'd rigged to put over the double stroller the first day was blowing all over the place. So after doing a lot of "inside" stuff, and letting Brent and AJ go on a few of the big rides, we called it a day and headed for San Diego. The kids had a hard time deciding if Sea World or Disneyland was more fun. Those killer whales really are amazing. And they got to feed and pet dolphins and pet starfish and sting rays. It was really cool!

The next day was spent at the beach where I quickly realized I should've put the kids in bathing suits despite it only being 55-60 degrees and the water being extremely cold. They got soaking wet anyway. And there was sand EVERYWHERE! But we got some great seashells! We also visited the temple this day, which doesn't have a visitors' center, by the way. Brent's dad described it to us beforehand as looking like the "Intergalactic Headquarters for the Emperor of the Universe." The kids thought that was fun....and we explained how it was pretty much true since God was the Emperor of the Universe. :)

And the next day was spent at the San Diego Zoo in the morning before heading back to St. George for the night. That was a pretty cool zoo. I've never seen a zoo with that many levels before!

When we got home last night, Brent went and picked up Ruby, who was very excited to see us all. And then we got things unpacked and put away and the kids in bed, and the laundry started, and the van cleaned out! Whew! I finished up the laundry this morning and just got done with school with the kids. We made plans for going to Costco and Harmon's tonight for much-needed groceries (great FHE, huh?.....hey....we just had FHWeek.) and I was feeling pretty good about not letting myself sink into the "Back-from-a-trip-Blues" (which usually cripple me for at least a week).

Then........


I got the call..........


from a member of our bishopric..........


asking ME (only me, not Brent....how is that fair?) to speak in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday.


Uh, hello? It's Christmas this week! And I just got home from a trip last night! He knew all that and was apologetic (I didn't let him know how much I'd gotten done since getting home last night....I'll let him feel sorry for me), but he felt like I should really speak this week.

Dang it! How do you say no to that? (How does one say no to ANY calling? I've never understood this, nor have I ever been able to do it, although sometimes I wondered if it wouldn't have been best if I had.....just kidding.)

Now, to top it all off, he gave me a topic that doesn't exist (at least as far as I can tell) and isn't answering his phone so that I can clarify. He told me that the subject would be President Uchtdorf's talk from this last conference titled "The Wind Beneath My Wings." I've looked online and in my Ensign....no such talk. Great.

I can already feel the pit in my stomach forming. I HATE giving talks. For those of you who know me, you know I LOVE to talk.....I can chat it up with just about anybody for quite some time. Brent has been known to gently remind me to keep my mouth shut for a while when we have company over so that somebody else can get a word in. That is TOTALLY different from standing up in front of people and forming coherent sentences. THAT I am NOT good at. I even reminded the bishopric member of this and told him how Brent would LOVE to give a talk. He's exceptionally good at it. The bishopric member laughed that off. Dang it again!


So it looks like I've got a long week ahead of me. A shadow has been cast over my Christmas. And I don't even know what I'm supposed to talk about yet! Argh!

Alright, vent over. I'll try not to let this assignment ruin Christmas. *sigh*


Oh, and for those of you who expected pictures from our trip, you'll just have to wait. The camera is still out in the van (somehow missed it last night while cleaning up). And I'm too lazy and cold to run out and get it and download the pictures. Maybe later tonight. But I promise I'll get some up!

4 comments:

DocMisty said...

Hi Friend!!

I found your blog! You're awesome. And when you said the talk didn't exist, I had to find it for you. It turns out he gave that talk twice - once in 2005 and once in 2008. Here are the links:


http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=06dc88c617b9c110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1


http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=913178de9441c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

Good luck - Just wait until the after Christmas when everything is a bit more relaxed. My best talks are the ones I do the day before. :-)

Misty Zaugg

Ann said...

Thanks, Misty! I probably could've searched harder, but I was too stressed out. My bishopric member said that he gave this talk just this last conference. So that's where I searched. I even searched the April conference, thinking he just might not be remembering right. But apparently he gave the talk in conference in 2005 and then it was published again in the Liahona this year. Thank you SOOOO much for finding that for me. That helps my stress level just a little bit!

And yeah, I'm quite the procrastinator anyway, so I doubt I'll get much done on it before Christmas. :) I also work a little better under pressure. :)

Anonymous said...

Somebody beat me to it. I found it for you as well. Oh well,at least you have the reference now.
-Phil-

Anonymous said...

OH good! I kept checking to see when you'd tell about your trip! Sounds great. Glad you had fun and are home safely. Good luck with your talk! :) Sorry! You'll do great.

natalie