Monday, January 5, 2009

Wanna know what Baby #5 is going to be?

I must be the most impatient person in the world. I can't stand waiting. I'm 17 weeks along....only 3 more to go before we get the regular 20-week ultrasound. But can I wait 3 more weeks? Absolutely not! Not after my sister, who's only 2 weeks ahead of me, has already known she's having another boy for 3 or 4 weeks. And also, not after I went through all the baby clothes in the basement. Brent thought that now would be a good time to clean out some of the boxes in the storage room, so Saturday I went through a bunch of boxes and threw stuff away, combined stuff, and condensed the number of boxes in the storage room. I first went through the baby girl clothes.....they're cute and I love them, but I've seen/used them all 3 times now. Then I went through the baby boy clothes. I cried. I've only seen/used them once. And that was 6 years ago!

So I went upstairs and informed Brent that we would be finding out whether this baby was a boy or a girl on our date that evening.

I NEEDED TO KNOW!!!

I made an appt at one of those Fetal Photo places in the mall and we went there directly after a spicy dinner at Pei Wei. (I was hoping the spices would get this baby moving!)

The ultrasound tech asked us whether we wanted a boy or a girl and I quickly informed him a boy was on my wishlist. He said he'd see what he could do.

We first saw the little tummy, full of fluid. Next the heart, beating away....155bpm. 2 arms, 2 legs, a perfect little spine. The head measures right on, the head-to-rump measures right on.

Ok, let's take a look between the legs.......



And here's a profile view, which the tech said actually gives a better picture of the proof (or lack thereof). See how she's rounded from her tummy around to her rump? There would be a couple of bumpity-bumps if she were really a he.Brent was just fine right away. He's excited to add another girl to the family.

I must admit, it took me a minute to recover. I was SOOO sure this was going to be a boy. All we've talked about are boy names, and how we're going to organize the bedrooms if this is a boy. But then......

The tech moved the wand over my belly and held it still for a minute. We saw her squirming and stretching and kicking. She gave us a little wave.....

And then she put her hand to her nose as if to say, "Neiner, neiner, neiner, Mom. I'm not a boy!"
How could I NOT fall in love immediately?

We've made 3 girls that look and act nothing alike so far, so I guess we'll have to see if we can do it a fourth time! :) And from the looks of it, we're going to have our hands full with a spunky little girl! I can hardly wait! :)

As the saying goes:

"Thank Heaven for Little Girls"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats!

Anonymous said...

Girls are grand!! Maybe she will be the "calming influence" Nora has been in ours.

Ann said...

Well, Lady was our "calming influence." We prayed she would be during her whole pregnancy. And she really has been. So who knows what's in store next? Do you think a family deserves 2 calming influences? That would be great!

Angie said...

Wow! How exciting! What does Roo think about it? Was he hoping for a boy?

Ann said...

Actually, he was the most excited of all. He's been wanting this one to be a girl the whole time. The other 2 girls have gone back and forth. Roo is ecstatic. :)

mkmcneli said...

I know a girl was not what you were hoping for but I am sure she will be loved just the same. Just because you already have girl clothes does not mean you can't have fun shoping for some new ones. I love the ultrasound pictures. It makes me very excited for my own peek next week.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! We are the complete opposite - Boy, girl, boy, boy, and with #5 I was sure it was going to be a girl - Nope - another crazy boy! He sure is cute now, though. Congrats!!

Katydid said...

i didn't know that you were pregnant! Wow 5 kids, I am struggling with 1 and a girl how exciting.

germanjules said...

that's awesome and i totally know how you feel about wanting a boy... i'm sure you'll love her just the same, congrats and i hope everything goes well inspite of your fall