Monday, December 21, 2009

Hypnobirthing and Homebirth Part II


I wanted to talk just a little bit more about hypnosis during childbirth and natural birth before I go into homebirth.

My friend, Misty, that I mentioned in the last post reminded me that using hypnosis is a good option for people even if they're planning to get an epidural or even for women having c-sections. It's a great way to help yourself feel joyful and excited about the experience rather than fear or even nervous anticipation. Our society is so backwards sometimes, it amazes me. Why on earth do we fear childbirth? It's something that's an everyday, natural occurrence and yet we get so hung up over it. It should be the most exciting time of the pregnancy...not the dreaded part.

There are so many benefits to natural childbirth. For one thing, if a mother is able to labor the way her body tells her to, it helps the labor progress on its own, without the need for pitocin (which has got to be the most over-used drug today). Every woman is different and has different needs. To put every laboring woman in bed and expect her labor to progress well is, well....pretty stupid. There are some women who labor well laying down on their side, but usually only for a short while. And I've never heard of any woman who was comfortable laboring on their back in bed. And yet what do they have you do the moment you walk into the hospital?

I have one friend who needed to walk through her contractions. Another friend needed to rock back and forth, standing up. Another loved rocking back and forth on her hands and knees. I loved laboring in the water. I was able to do whatever felt right to my body at the moment. I climbed stairs, I lay down on the bed on my side for 30 minutes and took a nap, I went for a walk down by the river with Brent and AJ, I sat in the jetted tub and the birthing tub, I was able to go to the bathroom anytime I needed to (no catheter)....ALL of this was done while in hypnosis. I was completely comfortable because I was able to do what my body wanted and needed to do.

Here is a blog post from Misty about her last birth. There is a video of her having a contraction. Notice how calm and relaxed she is. Notice her smiling and laughing. This is what labor SHOULD be like.

So why have a natural birth when "God gave us the gift of epidurals"? (Yes, I've heard those words numerous times now.)

Natural births have far less cesarian rates than medical births.

Babies born without medication are more alert and have an easier time nursing and bonding with Mom.

When there's no epidural, pushing time is lessened since Mom can actually feel what she's doing.

Without medication, a mother can feel where she's laboring most. If it's in her back, that's the first clue that her baby is posterior (face-up) and she can get into positions and do exercises to help the baby turn.

Recovery time is faster and easier without medication.

Endorphins secreted during a natural childbirth have been found in the placenta and umbilical cord. This may serve a purpose to help the baby adjust to life outside as well as make the journey more comfortable for baby.

4 comments:

germanjules said...

so i needed my BOP when i read this...LOL...could you put that in the title..."Warning: BOP needed"

i'm only kidding about the title change (the hypnobabies yahoo group has been doing BOP in the titles for a month now...and that has worked well)

that was great...thanks for the info...it keeps me committed to no interventions...however i think i'm gbs+, so if you have suggestions with that i would appreciate that...

Ann said...

BOP = Bubble of Peace, right, Jules?

Yeah, it would be a good idea to "ready" yourself before reading, huh?

As far as GBS (Group B Strep, for those who don't know), I don't think the medical community has come to a decision about this yet.

I was GBS+ w/my first. So I got the antibiotics during labor. Then with my second, I was there in MI and the doctors there said that anytime a woman tests positive, they consider her positive for any subsequent pregnancies. So they said I'd have to get the IV antibiotics then too. The problem was that I wasn't at the hospital long enough to get all the abx (antibiotics) before Roo was born. So we had to stay an extra 12 hours for observation.

Then with my 3rd, we were in Boise and the doctors there said that they do it on an individual pregnancy basis. So they tested me there and I was negative, so we didn't worry about it. Same thing with Baby #4 here in UT.

Then with this last one, my midwife didn't even get the results of my test until the morning I was in labor. It came back negative, though, so we didn't worry about it. We'd discussed the options, though, if the results didn't come back in time or if they came back positive.

My midwife could've given me abx and she also could've done a wash. The wash had a name, but I can't remember what she called it. Basically it was a cleansing wash that they do right before the baby's going to come out. Turns out we didn't need to worry about it, though.

It is believed that once you test positive, you'll always have GBS. It's just whether or not it's "active" in that area when it's nearing time to deliver. GBS can cause big problems with a newborn, BUT the odds of him/her getting it are fairly low.

So a lot of the time the "panic" the medical staff have about it stems from them wanting to cover their butts (again).

So many things done at the hospital are all about covering someone's butt, NOT about what's best for mother and baby. My next post is going to be a lot about that, so you may want to have your BOP for that too. ;)

I would just say don't stress about GBS. If you test positive (or have you in previous pregnancies, so they're just acting as if you're positive for this one?), they'll want to hook you up to an IV when you get to the hospital. So put off going to the hospital for as long as possible, if your bag of water is still intact. (I guess this depends on how long your labors are, though. If you have quick labors, you may just want to go and get hooked up.)

Having an IV is not the end of the world. Just don't let that dictate the rest of your labor. You can still labor in the tub or walk around while hooked up to an IV. It will be a little annoying, but the hypnosis will help block the annoyance. Just don't let them tell you that getting an IV means you need to be confined to the bed. Jon can help push the IV stand around. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you that the less medical intervention generally leads to a much quicker recover. Reuben was my only exception to less drugs worse recovery. My body wanted to push and I was only dialated to a 5. When my body takes over there is no way I can stop pushing. I didn't do hypnobirthing but did relaxation techniques I have learned from pyschology.

I did get an epidural w/ Nora. I feel like it was a good move because the cord was around her neck and I had to STOP pushing for them to get the cord off. From previous experience I doubt I could have stopped pushing.

So, now to my question. Do you think you would be able to stop pushing if you had too?

Ann said...

I think I would have been able to stop pushing, had I needed to. Especially with June. With Lady, it was my first natural birth and I was a bit overwhelmed by the intensity at the end of it (also by the nurse in the doorway yelling at me, but that's another story).

But then with June, I knew what to expect and I felt much calmer and more relaxed and in control the whole time. I really think I could've stopped pushing with her.

When I got to the end w/Lady, I just kept pushing and pushing until she came out. But with June, I listened to my body more, and waited for the contractions to come before I would push. I relaxed in between, which I didn't do w/Lady at all.

With you already having natural births before, Emily, you're aware of the intensity. So I would think that the hypnosis would help you control yourself if you needed to stop pushing. (I would hope, anyway.)