I'm going to start out easy.....there's nothing too controversial about carseats, right?
Oh, how I wish that were true......
(Besides, I've been meaning to do this post for a while now.)
One of my future posts will be about vaccinations. And I often like comparing carseats to vaccinations. It never ceases to amaze me that people think I'm crazy for not vaccinating my child against Hepatitis at birth and then they turn around and put their "safe" (aka: vaccinated) kid into a car without being properly restrained. I love how people think of their cars as an extension of their living room that magically takes them places without the chance of any harm. Or they think putting their kid in just any carseat will do....after all, carseats are magic bubbles that keep kids safe no matter what, right?
The truth is, 4 out of 5 carseats are installed or used incorrectly. Luckily, they do still manage to save lives, even improperly used. AND YET-- CAR ACCIDENTS ARE STILL THE #1 KILLER OF CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 14! What this means is that your child is more likely to die in a car accident than any other cause of death!
And still, some people are more worried about their child getting Hepatitis. Amazing.
I discussed the issue of extended rear-facing in a previous post. If anybody has any questions, feel free to ask. I do want to mention, though, that carseat companies are starting to get the clue. Sunshine Kids just came out with a new version of their carseat (the Radian XTSL) that can rear-face a child to 45 lbs (or until they outgrow it by height....whichever comes first)! I LOVE IT! (I know it's expensive, but it should go down in price over the next few months. Also, you can find coupons online.)
In this post we'll talk about extended harnessing and proper booster-use, since they kind of go hand-in-hand. It used to be that you could only find harnessed carseats that went up to 40 lbs. And then the next step was a booster. I found out about this when AJ hit 40 lbs. She was just under 4 years old and I couldn't stand the thought of putting her in a booster yet. She just didn't seem big enough to me. So that's when I started to do some researching and found 2 companies that made carseats with higher weight limits. Since then, most other carseat companies have gotten on-board with extended harnessing and started making seats with higher weight limits. It's great!
I want to mention really quickly about how harnessed carseats are outgrown. When a child is forward-facing, the carseat is outgrown when:
a) the child reaches the maximum weight limit
b)the child's shoulders are above the top harness slot (except on one particular carseat which allows the shoulders to go 1 inch above the top harness slot before being outgrown (the Radian))
c) the tops of the child's ears are level with the top of the seat
There are still a lot of carseats available right now that will be outgrown too early. With 40 lb. weight limit seats, most of the time the child outgrows it by weight first. With over 40 lb weigh limit seats, the child usually outgrows it by height before hitting the weight limit and they last much longer than 40-lb seats. There are a few seats that go up to 50 lbs. These may be a good option for you if your children are quite skinny. There are a number of others that go up to 65 lbs. These are great for average-size children. And there are a few that go up to 80 lbs. These are great for huskier children.
After learning about extended harnessing, I was able to keep AJ harnessed until she was almost 8. Unfortunately I had to also move Roo to a booster shortly after that, so he only made it to 6 1/2 in a harness.
There are a number of reasons why extended harnessing is safer. Most 4-5 year olds can't sit correctly in a booster seat for an entire car ride. In order for the seatbelt to do its job, the child needs to be sitting straight with their back against the booster the whole time. But for a lot of kids it's just too tempting to move out of place and fidget and squirm.
Also, it can be downright dangerous to put a small child in a booster. The booster isn't designed for a small child (even if the minimum weight limit on the booster says it is). What happens in an accident is the lap belt is pulled against their bellies and they can have terrible internal damage from that. They can "submarine" under the lapbelt and get terribly hurt that way. Here's a video about a little girl whose parents didn't know any better, but wish they would have.
So if you have a child who's outgrowing their 40-lb weight limit seat, consider getting another harnessed seat with a higher weight limit. There are some really good choices out there now, and there are a few that can be used as a booster once the child has outgrown the harness. (Note: I'm NOT talking about these or these carseats. Those are HORRIBLE in terms of booster-fit on children and usually have a 40 lb weight limit anyway. I'm talking about this one and this one.)
Before you put your child in a booster, read this and watch the videos linked in the thread.
When you decide your child is ready for a booster, please try to make sure the belts fit properly. Watch this for some guidelines.
The new guidelines for booster seats are that children need to be in a booster seat until age 12 or until they reach 4 ft 9 inches in height. But there's a better, more accurate way to know if your child is ready to be in a regular seatbelt. It's the 5-step test. (The only thing I disagree with in that link is that 4 year olds should be in boosters. It's rare that a 4 year old is big enough AND mature enough to be in a booster.) Keep in mind that your child may fit well in one car, but not in another. You may need to continue using a booster in one car and not another, depending on the fit of the seatbelt.
AJ will remain in a high-back booster until she outgrows them and then will be in a no-back booster until she's able to pass the 5-step test (as will the rest of my children). I prefer high-back boosters over no-back boosters because they:
1) provide more support for a wiggly child who might slip out of the belt in a no-back booster.
2) provide more support for sleeping children on long trips
3) provide much better side impact protection (Watch this. Now imagine that crash in a no-back booster.)
4) provide whiplash protection in vehicles with no headrests or built-in (low) headrests.
And one more video to show why booster seats are so important (even for "big" kids).
And one more to show why lap-only belts are dangerous. (Luckily most vehicles being made today have lap/shoulder belts in all positions. But if you have a lap-only belt in your car, consider installing a carseat there so that children/adults don't have to use it. (A harnessed carseat installed w/a lap-only belt is safe as long as it is a rear-facing carseat or if it is a forward-facing carseat used with a tether.))
And as always, I recommend getting your carseat installations checked by a Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST) in your area. I can help you find one, or you can find one on this website.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
So do you mind telling us what carseats you have in your van? And how they fit?
Also,
Are the buckles for the ones you suggested easy for the kids to latch and unlatch?
Good questions. :) For AJ and Roo, I have Britax Parkway booster seats. They work really well for 3-across situations like I have because they don't have armrests. Another really great booster is the Sunshine Kids Monterey. It has great side-impact protection. It also can work well in 3-across situations if it's next to a rear-facing carseat. Otherwise the side wings tend to be a bit wide if you're trying to get it next to a forward-facing seat.
Tink is in a Radian 80. It's another great seat for 3-across because it's super slim. This carseat is a heavy beast, but it's done AMAZINGLY well in all the crash tests it's been put through. It has a steel alloy frame and aluminum reinforced sides. That's what makes it heavy, but also what makes it perform so well. Radians can sometimes be tricky to install and so I would suggest finding a CPST with experience with Radians to help install it the first time.
Lady and June are both rear-facing in Britax convertibles. Lady is in a Marathon and June is in a Boulevard. I will be selling the Marathon shortly and getting a Radian XTSL for Lady to keep her rear-facing longer. The Britax convertibles still only rear-face to 35 lbs. Britax convertibles are known for being super easy to install.
When Roo was in the Radian still he could buckle/unbuckle by himself with no problems. Tink can buckle/unbuckle the chest clip, but still needs help with the crotch buckle. Lady even buckles her chest clip on her Britax. (I used to have her in a Radian and she could do the chest clip on that one too.)
And I used to have AJ in a Britax Husky (now called a Regent) and she could buckle/unbuckle it by herself quite easily.
What kind of vehicle do you guys have now, Cindy?
Oh, I should mention that the Parkways I have are an older version. The new ones (Parkway SG) have short armrests. I haven't played around with them yet, so I'm not sure if they make it a bit harder to buckle in a 3-across situation or not.
I also need to mention that the best carseat isn't always the most expensive. There are reasons why some are more expensive than others, but it doesn't ALWAYS make them better. The best carseat is the one that fits your child and your car the best. And the one that will be used correctly each and every time you get in the car. :)
How come you live so far away. I want you to check out my seats. All my kids' ages, weights, etc., gives me information overload. I guess I'll have to find an official inspector somewhere close once I try to figure things out.
After reading your post, we need to improve a lot!
We're driving a 2004 Honda Odyssey and I've got ages 18 mos, 4, 6, 8, and 10. I guess I've got to do some weighing and see how we're doing safety-wise. Heck, I don't even know the brands of the car seats we have. Gotta get busy.
Sure you don't want to come visit me and tell me what I need?? :-)
i've looked online at the radians, and i'm going to buy two probably...do you know if the raidan xt, xtsl, 65 and 80 are all the same size? (so I can do three across)
also, what is a store that usually carries these instock?
Misty, you know I would LOVE to come visit you! But I can help you as much as possible via email and I'll get you in touch w/a CPST in your area. :)
Julie, all the Radians are the exact same size. The only differences are the weight limits and the XT is the only one w/headwings. As far as stores that carry them in stock, usually USA Baby carries them and Buy Buy Baby. Do you have either of those in your area? There are actually a lot of CPSTs near you, so I can always check with one of them to see if they know somewhere. :)
We have the Passat still and a Monterey van. I want to know where you seat the kids in your van too. Do you still have the Honda van?
Ann,
I think you should talk more about what correctly installed car seat looks like. Like you said, it doesn't have to be the most expensive, it just has to be installed correctly and fits the child correctly. If it move more than 1 inch than it isn't tight enough.
Post a Comment